Alarm transmitter replacement

I am posting this message in case someone has a similar problem.

Having lost both transmitters for my alarm (factory for E36 325is),
I needed a replacement. Local dealers wanted ~$115/1 hour labor
for a transmitter/programming. I tried an Alpine dealer, who checked
with his distributor and said they would not do the job -- I am not sure
if their transmitters to not work with BMW alarms or they are supposed
to let BMW dealers rip off BMW customers.

I ended up ordering a transmitter from the BMW Store (Cincinnati)
for $85.80 -- better then the dealers but still quite steep.
(I did not have time to shop around much and I do not know if
one can get a much better price.)
The BMW Store salesperson was very helpful, and send me alarm installation
instructions I needed. Using these instructions, I removed the alarm
control unit (you need to remove the glove box) and used instructions
in the alarm manual to program the alarm for the new transmitter,
and then put everything back together. It took me about half an hour --
and it should take 15 minutes for someone who have done this before.
The time compares well with the driving time to a dealer.

I am curious if anybody knows if an Alpine transmitter would have worked,
and how much it costs.

- --
Andrew V. Goldberg                     NEC Research Institute
(609) 951-2727                         4 Independence Way
(609) 951-2488 (fax)                   Princeton, NJ 08540