RE: <E34> Headlights inoperable although High-beam works

>I have a '90 535i with a curious problem. The headlights does not work
>(although there is
>9 volts at the terminals). The funny thing is that the passenger-side
>parking light works, but not the driver's side. The high-beams also
>work, and according to the local dealer, it cancels out a problem with
>the control unit. The fog lights also work 100%.
>
>Any ideas? I've checked all fuses - all OK...

I would check for broken solder joints on the Light Control
Module motherboard.  The LCM is located in the fuse box.
It is the large box the closest to the fender (says LKM on it).
Remove it and remove the cover.   Look very closely at the
back for broken solder joints. Pay special attention to the
backs of the 3 or 4 little relays on the board.

My low beams stopper working now and again and I found
a bad solder.  No problems since.  I have seen posts from
other people with the same problem.

Also put your hand on the LCM and turn on your lists.  You
should be able to feel the relays click.  Try both high and low
beams.

Shawn Anderson
1990 535, 5 speed, 154,000 miles