<E28 M5> OBC Display Backlight, Air Dam (fwd)

Hi Everyone-

I'm new to the digest (just bought my first BMW, an '88 M5) and hoping to
tap the collective wisdom amassed here (can you tell I'm trying to get on
your good sides? :) )

I was under the impression that the display backlight on all E28s
comprised bulbs housed within a $20 white light bar thingie. Recently,
however, a dealer pulled up an assembly parts explosion on their computer
and told me that the '88 M5, specifically, used a single $2 bulb. Too good
to be true? Were they actually referring to the keypad backlight?

My second question concerns front air dam crack repair. I remember reading
somewhere, on some digest or FAQ, instructions for basically a home-brewed
method of laminating up a support from behind, purportedly with very good
results. Does anyone know of this or any other good and
relatively inexpensive alternative to replacing the whole thing (other
than leaving it alone, that is).

Thanks for the help!

Rick
'88 M5 (kind of a beater example of the car, replete with what looked like
barf on the headliner and carpet, but it's muuuch better now....)