Reply: Check engine?

Chuck wonders about his check engine light:

>Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:51:04 EDT
>From: CscottP@domain.elided
>Subject: Check engine?
>
>Digesters,
>
>I have an E36, 98 323is with less than 2000 miles on it and suddenly the
>check engine light has come on.  I understand from the owner's manual
>that running the car with the gas cap loose can cause this,(which my
>wife did).  My question is now that I have secured the cap why is the
>light still on?  Does this light have to be reset somehow once it is lit or, is
>it likely that I have another problem?  Should I schedule an appt. with my
>dealer or is there something else I could or should do?
>
>TIA, for any responces.
>Chuck
>98 323is Avus Blue w/sports and prem. but still stock for now.
>90 525i  Grocery getter
>BMW CCA Suncoast Chapter 158648

Chuck, I thought you were going to say that you opened the hood and
the engine was still in there!  (Rimshot)

But seriously, since you have an OBD II car, you pretty much have to go
to the dealer to get the light reset anyway (right, Digesters?).  So, you
may as well schedule the appointment.  While you're there, tell them
about the loose gas cap.  They'll know right away whether it was that or
something else, as soon as they hook up the diagnostic machine.  If
you're in good with the service people, they may even agree to do this
while you wait.  It shouldn't take long, I would think.

Problems like this are probably the reason why my wife always want me
to fill up the cars with gas.  Then I can't blame her for leaving the gas cap
loose or using the wrong gas or whatever...

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977