heat shield

I have an 89 535 on which SS RD headers have been installed. This was done
about two years ago, and I shoulda been more on top on things (or wraned by by
shop), but the heat is toasting the two AC pipes that run fore to aft in the
engine compartment. The foam insulation is partially gone off one of them, and
knowing that freon is flammable isn't a comfort either.  And earlier
experiement with a cone filter was also unsuccessful because the cone was
pulling in way too much hot air (some would argue that the airbox on this
model is pretty good by itself, anyway)

I'm planning on fabricating a heat shield to isolate the headers from the a/c
works, and would appreciate any advice about what is cheap, easy to work with,
and efficient. I've heard of aluminum flashing being used to isolate cone
filters, but the area around the pipes is a little warmer still.

Thanks
Blake
89 535i(s) toasted a/c, occasionaly wobble,recovered from sudden engine
failure (maybe)