<E36> ROUGH idle

Paul,

I had a similar problem with my E30.  After checking the ICU/ICV,
adjusting the idle/WOT switch on my throttle, and giving everything a
good once-over, it still idled very roughly and stalled if I didn't
keep my foot on the gas.  The engine was also running very rich
(unburned hydrocarbon smell from exhaust).

Turns out the culprit was the intake hose between the MAF and throttle
body.  It had a nice big split in the bottom, thus effectively
bypassing the MAF.  $28 intake boot cured the problem (& I got my %CO
set at the dealer, too).

Hope this helps!

    KC Boyce
    '85 325e