BL/SS tip for sheetmetal consoles...

Hi everyone,

I BL/SS'ed my E28 533i a few months ago with the 069 lever. Worked great.
The other day while scrounging at the wrecker's I was able to pick up the
big rubber boot that is used in cars with the cast shift console. I wanted
something better than mine since the boots they used were generally crummy
in the sheetmetal-console-equipped cars. Well, surprise surprise! The nice
big thick rubber boot works on the car.

And it makes the shifter feel much better. It is also quieter inside the
cabin and although you hardly felt any vibration up through the shifter,
even what little there was has been reduced.

In short, this is a good upgrade. It's a little expensive to buy if you
have to get the thicker, big rubber boot new, and probably not too
worthwhile.

On the other hand, if you happen to run across one, give it a try. It's
noticeably better.

Installing was a snap - just had to lube the shift lever a little so that
the boot would stretch over it nicely. A thin coat of light grease works
fine, vaseline would be fine, some light oil would be ok, silicone spray
would be fine, etc. etc. Whatever you've got. Just clean up any overspray
or splash of any kind and you're set.

best regards to all...

Aaron

p.s. - ever had one of those days where the car is better than usual? Just
feels better, growls a little nicer, accelerates a little better, holds the
corners a little tighter, etc. etc. ? I had one of those today - maybe it
was the weather, my mood, a tank of good gas, the correct alignment of the
planets or what?, but by whichever combination of the above, I was
taken again by how great a BMW E28 5er can be.
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Student, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services