Replacing Instrument Cluster of E34?

I have an '89 E34 525i, 60K miles, and while changing a bulb behind the
cluster, I accidentally dropped and broke the front
clear cover of the cluster. Needless to say it is a mess, but seems to
work OK. However, I would like to replace it.

I can get a replacement from the wreckers, though I have the following
questions:

1) By using a new instrument cluster, will the mileage be retained? Do
any of the electronic chips in the cluster module need to
be swapped?

2) I noticed in the owner's manual a mention of a coding plug, and that
if it is removed then a dot comes up on the mileage
indicator, showing its removal. I guess this is to stop mileage
tampering. Will this be affected by my actions? Which is the coding
plug?

3) Is mileage stored in the instrument cluster, or elsewhere in the car?
This is just for my knowledge.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Christopher Cheung.