Bizarre friday morning commute

Just when you thought road rage was really a concoction of the media and
Ministry of Transportation...

I'm third in line in the left of two lanes at the intersection just before the
onramp to the highway (10 south to 401 east for those in greater Toronto). Just
after the light a lane opens up that then becomes the onramp itself (a longish
one with two discernible bends).

Being the typical BMW driver I am (but not as bad as you think when you read
it), as soon as the light goes green and everyone else puts down their coffee
to get going, I find my way into the right lane behind this behemoth of an
early 70's American car which I must admit was in perfect condition.

As soon as the third lane opens up to my right I take it, my left front coming
somewhat close to his right rear as I zoom past. Now I look in my mirror and
notice that he's millimeters away from my rear end joining me in the
lane/onramp by now.

Lo and behold, he's now beside me on the (narrow) onramp millimeters to my
right. I SLOW down. After all, there's traffic in front and behind me as well
and we're only at bend one in the onramp. Then he passes me, gets a little
ahead and screeches to a halt. In typical fashion for those cars, his rear end
slides out making his car closer to perpendicular to its intended path.

I'm now evaluating options like get the hell outa there but the only
alternative is a gravel shoulder with lots of dips and bumps. Again the typical
BMW driver, I put the car above my own personal safety and stay put.

He comes stomping over to my window as I discreetly push the lock button down
(and thank God all the doors lock) and begins a 1 minute tirade about how dare
I *&^%$ come so close to his car. I give him the "What are you talking about?"
shrug while still thinking about using the gravel escape.

There is now a healthy lineup on the onramp as he finally bangs my window once,
stomps back off to his car, smokes his tires and disappears. All because I came
close to his rear bumper while changing lanes. Imagine what he'll do to someone
who in his opinion cuts him off in the front. Someone needs to call
1-800-SEE-HELP.

Roger...
jarjour@domain.elided

92 325i black on black with fingerprints on driver's window
84 4000s owner wishing to return it to daily hack status

End of bmw-digest V9 #165