CB Radios (very long, part 2 of 3)

This part will cover companies that supply CB equipment

Companies
- ---------
     There are several companies that offer CB equipment.  Oddly, the
companies that are known for their radios don't have much to offer in the
antenna deparment, and vise versa.

Cobra Electronics (www.cobraelectronics.com)
- -----------------
     Cobra makes various CB radios.  A couple of people mentioned that Cobra
made good quality stuff.  From the advice I gathered from the digest, I
ordered the HH45WX model.  This model is a Hand-held unit, with a changable
power supply and lots of other great features.
     They also make a model called the 75WX ST.  This model has most of the
guts in the microphone part, and a very small unit that must be mounted
under the seat.  The microphone is easily detachable, if you want to take it
in the house.  You can also get another base unit to install in another car,
so you wouldn't have to pay the full price for 2 CBs.

Cherokee (http://www.wirelessmarketing.com/)
- --------
These guys are new on the block.  A storekeeper in my area said that it was
created by the former head techie at Cobra who wanted to make a better CB.
Sounds like Mike Valentine, doesn't it?
     They make a really interesting model, the AH100.  It's the only
Hand-held unit (that I found at least) that has side bands.  Unfortuneately,
the output on the side bands is only 6 or 7 watts, not the maximum 12.  And
they're much more money than other models.

Uniden (http://www.uniden.com)
- ------
     I didn't spend much time looking at these guys at all.  They have 2
Hand-held units which are about 50% or 75% more money than Cobra units.  And
only 1 poster mentioned them.

RadioShack (http://www.radioshack.com/)
- ----------
Several people mentioned RadioShack (no space, unlike BMW CCA).  I get the
impression that they sell good equipment, but not the best.  I have
absolutely no facts to back this up.  In fact, my father has a RadioShack
police scanner and loves it - it has been reliable, clear and very entertaining.
     They have a sale on in my area until Sept. 26.  They also sell SWR
meters if you need to tune your antenna.

K40 (http://www.k40.com)
- ---
These guys make good antennas.  They also make a CB radio with 7 watts of
output (the maximum is 4 according to the FCC).
     Their antenna is easily tuneable, and you don't have to cut it.
There's an allen key tool that's included that you use to change the height
of the antenna.  This means that you can tune the antenna many times (for
different cars and different CBs)
     Their antenna is also cost effective.  For about the same price as a
Wilson antenna (see below), you can have a roof mount, a trunk mount or a
magnet mount all in the same model.  With the Wilson you have to choose only
1.  Watch it, the magnet is actually priced separately.

Wilson
- ------
This company specializes in antennas.  Their's are slightly longer than K40,
but not as easily tuneable.  Also, you have to choose the mount type (roof,
trunk or magnet) because each model comes separately.

Stay tuned for part 3...

Dean
'96 328is
BMW CCA