CB Radios (very long, part 1 of 3)

About a week ago I asked about CB radios.  I then did a lot of research, and
this post (and the next) are my findings.  I did most of this because our
car club is just getting organized, and not many of us know a lot about CBs.

I'll start with a description of CB.  I'll then describe the equipment
required.  In part 2, I'll describe some companies that I found that
supplies the equipment.  In part 3 I'll mention some sources of CB radios.

I just reread these posts, and they are tremendously long.  Sorry they
aren't shorter, but I don't want to spend the time to write something
concise.  This is, after all, the Internet...

Citizen's Band
- --------------
     Citizen's Band was originally designed as 23 channels that citizens
could use to communicate.  It was later expanded to 40 channels.  These
channels are in the range of 26 to 27 MHz.  Regular CB radios are limited to
4 Watts of output by the FCC.
     There are another two bands, which aren't as widely known.  These
bands, Upper Side Band and Lower Side Band, are in the frequency range just
above and just below CB, respectively.  Each side band has 40 channels.  SSB
(as they are known) radios are limited to 12 Watts by the FCC.  Because SSB
has a higher output than CB, it has a longer range.
     SSB can be useful because of its longer range.  CB doesn't have a very
long range, so sometimes the first car in a convoy can't talk to the last.
When these convoys are organized, it's very useful for the first and last
cars to be able to communicate in case something goes wrong (like a 733i
blows a motor while on the Duffy Lake highway and the first car doesn't know
about it).

Equipment and Range
- -------------------
As most people know, a CB radio and an antenna are required to broadcast on
CB bands.  CB radios can be broken down into 3 classes:  Hand-Held (all
electronics in 1 neat package), Mobile (like what the truckers use), and
base stations (for permament installation in a building).  There are also
several types of antennas.
     Hand-held units usually have several potential sources of power.  This
includes batteries (and rechargables) and cigarette lighter plugs for cars.
A lot of units have 'power supply packs', which are small units that
comprise the bottom half of the entire unit.  So, the battery pack can be
replaced by a cigarette lighter adapter, so the operator doesn't have to
hold the heavy battery pack unit while using the CB in a car.  These packs
can be different sizes, which makes the unit different sizes, based on the
power supply.  Usually, the cigarette lighter is smaller than the battery
pack.  SSB isn't generally available in Hand-held units.
     Mobile units are usually mounted directly into a car.  There are
usually several controls on the front, so the unit must be mounted in plain
view.  There is also a microphone which the more intelligent operators talk
into.  Some mobile units offer SSB.
     I wanted something I didn't have to mount into my car, and something
that I could take out of the car when not in use.  So I really only
considered Hand-Held units.
     Most manufacturers also offer some models with weather channels.  The
factory radio in my '96 328is has weather channels, so I don't know why I
would need them on a CB.  Maybe if I used it for camping, or something.
BTW, if I ever needed to know the weather I would look at the windshield:
     - If it's wet, its raining.
     - If it's white, it's snowing.
     - If it's dark, it's night.
     Range is affected by several factors:  weather, mountains, skyscrapers,
etc.  But the 2 biggest factors seem to be the quality/length of the antenna
and the output of the CB.  Since the maximum output is 4 Watts for CB bands
and 12 Watts for the side bands, get a radio that puts out 4 watts for CB
and 12 for SSB.  The antenna also plays a major part of the distance
equation.  All antennas have to be tuned for the car/CB radio/antenna
combination.  Make sure you get a good quality antenna that's easily
tunable.  If you can't find somebody to tune the antenna for you, you'll
need to do it yourself with a SWR meter.  Ask the antenna dealer you buy
from how to tune it.

Stay tuned for part 2...

Dean
'96 328is