E36 Transmission Failure

Today my parents' 1991 E36 320i (with 100000kms) broke its Auto 4 speed.
Accelerating in 'sport' mode, there was a loud 'clunck' and now the car
is taking off in 3rd gear!! Very slow!, i think it maybe in some safety
mode?? (warning light is illuminated). Anyway, the dealer found that the
ATF was BLACK and clearly hadnt been changed for ages even though the
car was serviced 3 months ago! Thankfully, we have a warranty (quote for
new auto is $4000, car also needs O2 sensor) Problem is though, there
isnt a 320i Auto tranny in the country!! (Australia) and because its a
warranty item, the thing has to be new, so one has to be flown in from
somewhere!!, oh well, moral is....... check your ATF!, its not a nice
noise when the tranny goes!!!
Michael St.Clair
1984 318i (2 litre)