Re: Synthetic oil change and oil service reset light questions

On the subject of Mobil 1 synthetics, my mechanic has recommended 15W-50
for the summer months and 5W-30 for the winter months here in the
Toronto area.  Of course, this is highly dependent on the climate where
you reside.  The 15W-50 weight is ideal for a high performance or for a
highly stressed engine where low temperature viscosity is less
important.  I'd suspect that in the LA area, you'll probably be able to
run the 15W-50 all year round.

As for the oil service lights, yes, it is normal for all the green
lights to be on when you reset it.  As the oil deteriorates, the green
light bar will go down and when it reaches its last light, it's ideal to
change the oil then before the amber (or worse RED) light illuminates.
Hope this helps.

Roy Kao
'97 328i (Eagerly waiting for my M3...)
'88 635CSi