Too Lean???

Tim Gergen writes:

>Apparently, he found through dyno
>testing while using a a/f meter, that WITH A CONE FILTER and the euro
>HFM/Jim chip, the car was pretty lean at high rpm.  He says about 14.1
>or so...

 Well, tell him for me I'd like to see the chip he speaks of.. because
 the chip you have, and the one sold by Will Turner was actually tuned
 with a CONE filter for peak HP (somewhere around 12.9-13.1 at 6000rpms)

 This was done SPECIFICALLY for those who buy the kit, and either don't
 use the airbox or who decide that they want to switch for weekend track
 events.. (like me... Gee ;)

 In fact, using the HFM setup with a CONE is the most you can do with
 the stock injectors safely..

 It was tuned in Florida, using a fresh Horiba sensor (Thanks to Karl
 at Active) on a local club member tuning day on Keith Robertson's car
 and I think he might still have the printouts from it.. with both
 the DYNO runs and the scribbled AFR numbers.. those runs USED to be
 posted on the Maximum Performance website.. but the website moved or
 something :(

 As a technical sidenote, I think it's time for a bit of fresh air about
 the whole chip thing on E36 M3's... No chip can do *anything* else
 without more fuel either by larger injectors or higher fuel pressure..
 the injectors peak out at (approx) 284 HP

 SOOO.... any claims that say that chip X or Y can improve upon that HP
 significantly, or HP claims of greater than approx. 280HP using stock
 injectors are total B*LLSH*T!

>Now, I am NO expert on this and post this merely to find out what others
>may have leanered about using a cone filter with the euro hfm.

 The problem is when people who don't have the proper equipment or in some
 cases have it, but can't use it..  If he's measuring a 14:1 afr at WOT then
 either his sensor is gone .. or the nut behind the wheel is loose ;)

 I love these "questions" the best.. nothing speaks louder than simple FACTS..

 Jim C.

 PS: For those who doubt anything I say, feel free to contact Keith, or Dan
     or Carlos from the FL chapters.. or call ERT on the injector thing..

     It was ALFREDS car that JUMPED from 284HP to close to 310 JUST by
     using a larger set of injectors and properly calibrated chip for them!
     (Yes, he was a happy boy!!)