Jim C. Chip--too lean w/ cone filter???

I have a 95 M3 w/ euro HFM and Jim C. chip.  I was recently talking to a
local shop owner who burns his own chip, has his own dyno, etc.  He has
much experience w/ BMW's and specializes in them.  Upon dropping my car
off today for a horrible timing chain tensioner noise (I think), he
looked at my cone filter and said "You know, you are loosing hp with
that".  I replied that I had the euro HFM and Jim C. chip..(I thought
the guy was smokin' or something!).  Apparently, he found through dyno
testing while using a a/f meter, that WITH A CONE FILTER and the euro
HFM/Jim chip, the car was pretty lean at high rpm.  He says about 14.1
or so...

Now, I am NO expert on this and post this merely to find out what others
may have leanered about using a cone filter with the euro hfm.  Or maybe
even get the master, the shark himself, to address this concern.  I know
that the Jim C. chip WAS BUILT FOR USE WITH A EURO AIRBOX. So I am in no
way saying there is a flaw with the chip.  I MODIFIED the setup to run
with a cone filter, so I only hold myself responsible for any screwups
with the motor.  I would just like an opinion as to if this guy's
comments are valid...Feedback?