Reply: E46 Wheels and Tires

Rick asks:

>Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 08:31:43 -0400
>From: "Richard M. Shrier" <rmshrier@domain.elided>
>Subject: E46 Wheels and Tires
>
>I have just ordered a new E46 and have a choice of 2 tire and wheel
>sizes;
>195/65R-15H and 205/55R-16H
>Both tires are all-season which is important here in the Boston area.
>The 15 inch tires are Continentals and the 16 inch are Micheling MXV4.
>The 16 inch tires are a $300 upgrade but include a nicer alloy wheel.
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Rick Shrier
>
>email: rmshrier@domain.elided

Rick, neither tire choice is what I'd call optimal.  At least, I wouldn't want
either of those tires.  They will hold the car up and probably drive OK in
bad weather, but neither is what I'd call a "fun" tire.  Two choices:

1.  If you like the 16" wheels, spend the $300 on the upgrade and then
order a new set of decent tires from someone like Tire Rack, or your
favorite local tire dealer.

2.  If you don't like the 16" wheels, get the 15s, then order a complete set
of decent wheels and tires from Tire Rack or someone else.

I've made the mistake before of thinking that I'd take the stock tires, wear
them out, and then get better tires.  Then the damn stock tires last
forever, and by the time they're worn out, you're ready to sell the car.
Don't do this.  Get better tires now, when the car is new, and you can
enjoy the good rubber longer.

Sorry that I don't have a recommendation for a decent high performance
all season tire, but I'm sure others on the Digest can help you with that
(probably already have, since I'm a week late with this).  (I have always
liked Yokohamas, however...)

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977