[E39] Dinan's 540i (was re: Goodbye 1997 M3)

James Donohoe wrote:
> > To increase my chances against a truck next time, I'm willing
> > to trade some fun for peace of mind.  Maybe a 5 series sport?
>
> I have a 5 series, (1991 M5), and have a blast with it. I believe
someone on
> this list mentioned that Steve Dinan has a newer, (1998?), 540i
and has done
> nothing to it except negative camber plates. If true, it says something

Actually, Steve Dinan's '98 540i Sport has the full Dinan Stage 1
suspension on it (springs and struts/shocks), but no camber plates.
He's also got 18" wheels.

I'm supposed to go drive it one of these days so I can see how badly
it damages the ride.  Our 528i could really use some tightening up,
but my wife has a long freeway commute and would like to preserve her
kidneys.

On that topic, our 528i 5-spd is a GREAT car.  Lots of fun to drive,
and not nearly as underpowered as you might think.  The suspension
is too soft, with too much body roll (the Sport suspension was not
available for 528 in '97), and I've got a set of of the 540i Sport
wheels in the garage waiting for tires, but otherwise the car is
excellent.  Oh, shifter gears is like rowing a boat.  Get a BL/SS
kit.

- - Mark
  '95 M3, Landsharked, BLESSed, soon to be ERKed
  '97 528i 5-spd, in need of Sharkage, stiffer suspension, and BL/SSage
- ---
Mark Dadgar
Product Manager
CoreOS, Mac OS X