re: <E36> Driving school prep.

Rob Mudry wrote:
> In preparation for the driving school this coming Friday, I have the option
> of either keeping my current brake pads (brand new Repco/PBR deluxe) or
> switching back to original stock Pagid pads (half worn).  Would it be worth
> my time and effort to do this or should I just run the Repco/PBR's.  Also,
> how fresh is the brake fluid supposed to be?  How many months old max?  I'm
> running Racing Blue which is couple of months old.

I would not use the Deluxes on the track under any circumstances. These
things are fine on the street if you don't race down a canyon road to
get to work every day, but they are barely good enough for an autocross
much less a drivers' school. Even if this is your first event, the
Deluxes are likely to fade. How severely depends on how fast you're
going. Is this your first event? Is the car stock? Street tires? Whether
the 1/2 worn stock pads will last is a question I can't answer, but I'd
run them instead.

The tech sheet from your chapter might specify how old the fluid can be.
The NCC allows 6 months (with no prior track event on it).
- --
Ron Katona