REAR AIRBAGS

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 07:22:54 -0400
From: "Richard M. Shrier" <rmshrier@domain.elided>
Subject: rear air bags

Can anyone comment on rear side impact airbags and children. The new E46 has
them as an option and they are on the car I am purchasing.  However, I have
two children 6 and 3 and was wondering if the safety issues about front
mounted air bags are the same with the rear side impact air bags?

Best Regards,
Rick Shrie

The principal concerns here was that children frequently aren't properly
restrained in the rear seats and may not be in the optimal position when
air bags are deployed.  Same risk as with the front bags, injury, death,
and from the manufacturers standpoint, liability.  The big fear is that
children sleep leaning on the doors/c-pillar structures and would be
summarily "launched" inward by the rapidly delpoying air bag.

If I had small children (under six years old) I would think twice about
rear airbags.

Just my opinion.

Bob Duckworth