E30 M3

I am going to be looking at a couple of 1988 M3s that are for sale in the
area.  Not being very familiar with E30 M3s, I would like to know of any
problem areas that I should look out for.  I did some web searches for E30
M3 web sites, but found nothing with any substantive information (other
than cool pictures).  Any pointers?  Finally, how do engine and/or
suspension modifications figure into the price.  Blue book for an '88 with
80-90,000 miles is $12,100.  But if the owner has invested $5-10K in mods
over the years, they shouldn't expect to recoup it all, should they?
Based on asking prices in the Roundel, that's what it looks like.

TIA,

Kosta Tombras
ctombras@domain.elided