E36 M3 shifter removal advice needed...

There's nothing like spending the weekend on your back replacing the clutch in
an E36 M3... mmm-mmm good!

I'm at the point where I'm ready to unbolt the tranny from the vehicle, but
I'm a little stumped about the shifter carrier arm (the piece that the shifter
sits and pivots in) that runs from the top of the tranny to a bushing attached
to the console hump.  I can't see how to disconnect this arm from the top of
the tranny and it doesn't look like the tranny can be pulled back and dropped
away without removing it first.  Any *experienced* advice on what to do here
would be greatly appreciated.

I might add that this shifter design seems to have a lot of slop in it, no
surprise that people miss shifts and blow engines under extreme circumstances.

Mark Sipe