re: M Coupe (and other porky BMWs)

Gary Buff wrote:
> Just received the new Road & Track where they road-tested the M coupe.
> They loved the performance but had mixed opinions on the styling....
>
> I think it looks really cool myself.

Styling wise, I really don't care. The 3.0 Coupes, 6ers, and a few other
BMWs are really gorgeous. The rest are OK to good looking with the real
beauty being underneath the skin. If the M Coupe goes like stink, it's
OK with me.

Here's the problem I have with the M Coupe and the rest of the current
BMW lineup - weight. Someone please explain to me why the tiny M-Coupe
weighs in at 3131 lb? Most coupes weigh less than their convertible
cousins. In the case of the Z3, the car was designed as a roadster to
begin with, so I guess there was no weight savings with the addition of
a solid roof.

Being a fan of the 318ti, the only knock I have on that car is that it's
a bit heavy for its size. At 2500 lb rather than ~2775, this car would
seriously challenge the Neon in D Stock. It would have also satisfied
E30 318 owners who were looking for the same "poor man's M3" performance
from the 4-banger. The ti isn't underpowered; it's overweight (but I
still love it).

The E46 is once again heavier than its previous incarnation. Again, with
a diet the car would simply blow away the competition.

Why is it that Audi can produce aluminum bodies without jacking up
prices to uncompetitive levels while BMW can't? I realize safety
regulations and the market appetite for airbags and power everything add
weight to all modern cars, but almost every current BMW I can think of
is about 200-300 lb from being truly magnificent. BMW gained recognition
in this country with light weight sporty sedans and coupes in an era of
obese Detroit iron. This trend towards heavier BMWs bothers me.

Sales of the M3 LTW give some insight as to how BMW strippers sell in
the US, but I think BMW needs to make some effort to use more aluminum
in the structure and drivetrain without skimping on other areas. I'm
pretty sure today's M coupe weighs more than a E28 5-series!

Now don't get me wrong, they are still all great cars. Just imagine what
the entire BMW lineup from 318ti to 750 would be like with a 200-300 lb
across the board diet.
- --
Ron Katona