Tires - longish.

Thought I share my tire purchase experience with the digest - it may be of
some value to someone.  If not interested page down to the next digest
entry.

Bought 4 new tires today for an 528e - Dunlop D60/A2 JBLs.

Interesting - I looked at  4 different tires from 4 different manufacturers,
all H rated 195/70HR 14 - not too many choices in that size.  (Micheline
Energy MXV4, Pirelli A4000, Dunlop D60A2, and Bridgstone Potenza RE92).
These 4 choices were suggested in Roundel about 5 months ago in their tire
write up.

Checked about 4 local sources and the TIre Rack mail order.  Although the
Tire Rack had the best price of all for the basic tire - the local branch of
a chain store, America's Tires,  had what probably worked out to be even
better than that of the Tire Rack - at least on the Dunlop that I chose to
buy.

Tire Rack price for the tire I wanted is $44 each. Plus shipping (Consumer's
Report suggests $4-10 shipping[per tire?].  Assuming that UPS doesn't loose
a tire, you get 4 tires on your doorstep and then you have to stuff them in
your car and find a place to get them mounted and balanced.

America's Tire charged $49  per tire plus 8.25% sales tax, mounting included
and "bought back" my 4 old tires for $3 each.

Figuring that the cost of balancing, valve stems, old tire disposal fee is
the same in either case, at worst case, I broke even between the Tire Rack's
price and America's Tire and skipped a lot of hassle.

YMMV, but it would appear that at least in this case, it paid to check
around local vs. mail order.  Don't know how this will format when you
receive it, it is an Excel spread sheet of data from the Tire Rack.  The
column "# 1,2,3,4" is the number of "highest rating" for each tire.  "Score"
is the sum of points each tire got for the number of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
ratings, with 4 points for a 1st, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and 1 for a 4th
ranking.  This scheme DOES ignore personal value of importance (for example
more personal value on wear over steering response, etc.  Because of the way
I use my car, I had higher preference for Noise and Ride quality than
steering response and  snow traction and so technically the Michelin was
somewhat preferred over the Dunlop until price was factored in - $89 vs 49
plus the fact that it rained like H--- here (San Francisco Bay area) last
winter and the fact that this is a 12 year old car with 138K miles on it.
It didn't seem $160+ worth it for the Michelins.

I've put maybe 20 miles of mixed street and freeway driving on the new tires
on dry pavement, and certainly so far have no regrets for my choice - time
and miles will tell.

 <<...>>

Harvey
New Front Brakes, Thrust Arm bushings (750s), and now new "shoes" - Shocks
next.
'86 528e, 138+K Miles