Racing tires...

Next summer, among other things, I plan on upgrading to auto-x tires.
I've been told that these make the single biggest difference of all the
other mods on an individual basis.  I can see that as I have just
finished my suspension and cannot take clover leafs any faster than I
had in the past--tires are my weak point right now.

Any recommendations?  Brands?  Sizes?  Weights(what's lightest?)  I'm
running 14" now...on factory rims.  If I have the money to put on cool
rims next summer for looks and improved street handling, I could use the
factories to hold the auto-x rubber or snow tires.  Yet if steel rims
are cheap and lighter than showy alloys I'd be open to them for racing,
too.  My goals: upgrade to near stock size race rubber and have a
seperate set of tires/rims for street.

Any and all takers on this would be appreciated!

Dan