re: EWS or NOT

Jim C wrote:
>Simple.. you can tell one of three ways..
>1) Look at the sticker on the doorjamb for the vehicle production date..
>2) Look AROUND where you put the key in on the steering column, do you see
>a "ring"
>3) Look at the light on the lighted key, is it a yellow LED, or a white BULB..
>
>                    No EWS                EWS
>    Prod Date      -> 12/94               1/95+
>
>    Ring Antenna    NO                    YES
>
>    Key Light       LAMP                  LED
>
>  Jim C.

Not that I would ever question anything that Jim Conforti said (LOL, Jim knows)
but the "antenna" ring around the ignition switch actually predated EWS and
it is entirely possible to have an LED key without EWS. (not likely, but I
've seen 'em)  The date is the best clue and also the EWS keys are made of
a non-ferrous alloy (gold-ish color and a magnet won't attract them).
Actually "up to 1/95" (->1/95) is the correct date for non-EWS, 1/95-> is
EWS.  (BMW did make cars in December of '95.)  Actually, to be more
correct, earlier cars had EWS, drive-away protection in BMW Speak, but just
not the latest EWS(III?) with "coded" driveaway protection.

- -Phil Marx