<E36><M3>Noise from trans

Interesting effect in my 95 M3.

With car in 1st, clutch in, engine at idle (i.e., coasting at a slow speed
in 1st with clutch depressed), I have noticeable gear noise.  Not loud -
sounds about like the typical light gear whine you get in reverse in some
cars.  If I shift to neutral or 2nd, keeping clutch depressed and engine at
idle, noise disappears.  Don't have the same effect if I try the same thing
in reverse.  If I try to shift back to 1st while moving, feel typical
resistance and slight grind.  Clutch/gears work normally otherwise.

What am I hearing?  Just the rear wheels driving the gearbox?  That would
explain it I guess.  Why just in 1st?  Ratio for 2nd just resulting in less
audible noise?  Why not in reverse?  Never noticed this in any other car.

Hmmm...
Mike A.
mla1@domain.elided