535 power loss--quick,mean and nasty

My 89 535 had been experiencing periodic "check engine" lights and power loss;
this hadn't occured in over a month, since I got an "O2 rich" code feedback
and tightened all the hoses (yes, two were a bit loose).

BUT things got bad and quickly today (in the rain, of course... hurricane
leftovers). The car started up fine, went about two blocks, and the engine
died suddenly and completely. The "check engine" light went on, but so did
most of the array. I turned the car off and tried to start it again, but no
sign of turning over. Electricity seems fine, it's just not going over the
top.

I had experienced rare instances of the car refusing to start--maybe the
starter had been going for a while--but it would always start after, say, two
minutes of trying.I don't know if this could be related or not.

BTW, the engine code is currently 1-4-4-4... I believe it's an "all-OK" sign.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who can forward some advice before I place
the car in the grip of a nearby shop.

Blake