Re: Gyro Stabalizers

"Smith, Christopher E" <christopher.e.smith@domain.elided> wrote:

> An alternative method would be to use an adjustable sway bar with
> linear actuators controlling the roll stiffness.  A yaw rate sensor
> and steering angle sensor are used to determine if a car is turning
> and at what slip angle.  A controller is then used to provide changes
> in roll stiffness based upon cornering forces.  Another benefit is
> that corner weight preload is easily adjustable.

I think a Citroen already used (is using?) this setup at some point.  As
I remember, it had some sort of inflatable rubber baloons (kind of like
the helper air springs they put in pick-up trucks) connecting a big
stabilizer bar to the suspension in place of the usual end links.  In
straight ling driving, the rubber ballons didn't have much pressure
resulting in a truly independent suspension with very weak bars and good
ride quality.  Under cornering however, the rubber baloons were
pressurized (don't know if it was hydraulic fluid or air) and you had in
effect a very stiff sway bar for near-flat cornering.

Luis Marques
'97 328i