free vanos engine

A good friend who is a tect at a local shop asked me to give him a hand
changing a Vanos(sp?) engine out of a 325is this last weekend. For my
help he offered the engine to me. I like rebuilding engines ( I just
replaced the crank in wife's 325is) but I know very little about this
type. My friend has told me that this engine puts out thrity more H.P.
with the Vanos.
This particular engine lost all of its coolant out the front after a
water pump failed, its looks like the leak is in the area around the
thermostat housing.
Is this engine of any value?
What are my chances of finding a 325is with a blown Vanos engine?
Should I get in to this engine?
Mark Harvey
91 535i
89 535i
87 325is
85 635csi
83 320i (this thing just keeps going and going!)