RE:E30 - Scroth Harness

Simon-

I just put them into my 87 E30 325is and it wasn't to terribly difficult; I
don't know how the 318 differs, but here is how I did it.  I purchased the
snap-in kit so that I can easily remove the harnesses on the street.  The
eye bolts that come with the kit will bolt straight into the stock
locations.  To screw them in, I used an old, large 1/2 drive standard
socket (can't remember the size right now) that the eyebolt fit in
perfectly so I could tighten them up.  For the shoulder straps, I removed
the bottom of the rear seat (just pops off with a yank from the front
corners) and replaced the normal mounting bolts for the rear seatbelts with
the eyebolts.  The rear seat will fit back in its normal location with the
eyebolts in, takes a bit more "urging".  I remove the seat cushion it when
the harnesses are in.

For the lap belts, the bolt holding the stock belt rail was replaced with
an eyebolt for the outboard attachment.  Now the fun part starts.  Remove
the front seats (do the front bolts first) and get the heavy bastards out
of the way.  Also remove the plastic rocker panel trim pieces so you can
get the carpet out of the way.  For the inboard mount location, your
situation may differ on the 318.  On the 325, there is a mounting bolt for
the cat heat shield that is about 1.5 inches behind where the seat bolt
anchors.  I remove the heat shield mounting bolt and drilled up from the
bottom with a small drill bit in the center of the hole into the passenger
compartment.  I then expanded this hole using progressively larger bits
until it was large enough for the eyebolt shaft to fit through and then I
bolted from the bottom.  Be sure to use some fender washers or some other
load distributing device on both sides to help prevent them from ripping
out in a crash.  You may also want to apply some silicon sealer to prevent
water leaks.

For the anti-sub belt, I again drilled through the floor plan, just in
behind the heat vents that are under the seats.  These straps are
permanently mounted, but can be shoved under the seat when not in use.  I
ran the strap up under the seat and between thigh bolster and the main seat
cushion.  You'll have to cut a slit in the leather, but it not really
noticeable when the straps are shoved under the seat.  Don't forget some
support for the bolt and nut and some sealer.

I used the new harnesses this weekend at Roebling Road without any
problems-much better way to keep my big a** in the seat.  Be sure to cross
the shoulder straps behind the seat per the Scroth instructions to keep
them on your shoulders.  Not the ideal install given the angle between the
seat back and the rear seatbelt mounts (a strap bar on rollbar/cage would
be much better), but it will be hardly noticeable on your daily driver when
you remove the harnesses.

Hope this helps.  All disclaimers apply, YMMV, yada, yada, yada

John