Re: Experience with UPS losing car parts

>Has anyone had any experience dealing with UPS
>after they lose large car parts which were not
>insured for the full replacement cost? I recently
>bought a set of 4 used 17" TSW wheels w/ mounted
>R1 from a fellow digester, only to have UPS lose
>one of the bundles (consisting of 2 wheels/tires).
>UPS customer service totally sucks; they have not
>told me anything. Any advice on trying to get them
>to pay actual replacement cost instead of
>declared/insured value would be appreciated. I
>also strongly recommend anyone shipping car parts
>to pay the extra few bucks to insure your stuff
>for the full replacement cost, not just the
>selling price, to avoid the headaches I'm going to
>have to deal with. You would think it would be
>hard to lose a 75 pound bundle of 2 mounted tires
>bound together, but one UPS person I talked to
>cheerfully said they lose tires "all the time."
>Lovely.
>
>Andy '95 M3 w/ 2 extra wheels/tires

I recently sent 4 wheels and tires to someone.   When the package arrived it
was missing the wheel studs that were boxed and taped inside.  I found out
that UPS deals with the person that ships the merchandise, not the one who
receives it.  I had to request a claims form and get an estimate of the
missing parts and fax it all to UPS.  It did take 2-3 weeks, but I was paid
the claim and forwarded the check to the receiver.
I would never send anything that wasn't insured for replacement value.  Ask
the shipper to get on the ball and have UPS trace this stuff.  I sincerely
hope in any event the shipper will consider giving you your money back since
it was he whom failed to insure his package.

DaveLehmann@domain.elided