Metal Master Impressions

Well,

	I've put on almost 300 miles on my new set of Metal Masters (E34
535i).  Here are my unscientific impressions:

- -  These pads suck really bad before they have bedded and acclimated to the
rotors.  Much worse than stock.  I had to mash the pedal to get any kind of
deceleration.  The first 30 stops were pretty hairy and I thought I had made
a huge mistake.  Stank like hell too from outside the car.

- -  After a day of driving, and a series of 60-15 mph runs, the pads felt
much better.  Still kinda weird, but at least as good as stock.  Modulation
of pressure required re-mastering as these pads have different
charcteristics.

- -  Now, the Metal Masters definitely grab better and faster with light pedal
pressure (cruising down to a stoplight).  However, it was easier to mash the
stock Jurids in emergency situations because I didn't have to push the pedal
as far.  You have to push a little harder on the Metal Masters to get the
same effect, but if you're standing on the brake pedal anyway, it doesn't
matter.  I think the difference lies in the way the pads heat up.  The Metal
Masters behave in a much more linear fashion.  Push more, brake more.  Stock
Jurids would really make the car dive at what seemed like an  almost
exponential rate as you pushed harder.  This can be a good thing for the
Metal Masters because you have more control with your foot.  Now that I've
been driving the pads for a while, I don't even notice the difference
anymore and I wouldn't say the extra effort is really significant.  I really
appreciate the decrease in effort I need to slow the car down in normal
conditions.  Example:  with the stock pads, I usually had to keep increasing
pedal pressure to slow down to a stop.  With the Metal Masters, I can apply
pressure and leave my foot alone, then i think the heat helps and the car
stops by itself without requiring any more input from me!

Anyways, a worthwhile investment.  I haven't autocrossed them yet, but
expect them to do at least as well as stock.  Obviously a good street pad,
but maybe not the best track pad with the melting incidents and all...

Ben Trapp
benjamin_trapp@domain.elided
Dell OptiPlex & WorkStation Industrial Design
PCA / IDSA / CIP / BMW CCA #156642 (NCC)
"If dysfunction is a function, I must be some kind of genius!"

End of bmw-digest V9 #125