Re: <2002> Qs Carbs/ ignition

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Christopher Pawlowicz wrote:
	<snip>

> With the last tank of gas (coincidence?) it idles like crap..
> and will stall most of the time

Probably coincidence, but may be a clogged fuel filter -- have you
checked?  More likely a combination of vaccuum leaks, dirty carb,
timing/distributor problems.  Do you know if you're running lean or rich
when it stalls (check plugs)?

> it seems to have a distributor with vacuum advance but the vacuum line
> has been disconnected.

Vac advance distributors work like crap with the vac line disconnected
Why ont try and connect it -- things should improve.

> I'm thinking an electronic ignition is the way
> to go (Pertronics? Crane?).

Electronic ignitions are nice from a maintenance/performance-at-high-rpms
perspective, but I wouldn't count on them to solve a multitude of
problems.  They can make a well-tuned car run a little smoother at high
RPMs.

> full throttle is no good - stutters and bucks.. is this related to the
> distributor being not hooked up right ?

Probably not.  The vac advance on the carb works on intake vaccuum, which
increases as RPMs increase -- i.e. the higher the RPMS, the more the
advance, to a point (I think its like 34 degrees max).  It is more likely
a bad/leaky accelerator pump/diaphragm, which would normally squirt gas
into the carb venturi when you stoomp on the gas.

> The carb is a Solex but apart from that I have no idea how to identify
> it.. it has 2 barrels (one bigger than the other).. what is it?

Here is the cause of most of your problems.  Do yoursellf a favor and get
rid of this carb.  A 32/36 Weber is a direct (almost) bolt-on.  You have
other options, as well (e.g. 38/38, but this will benefit from/require a
little porting of the intake manifold).

> > What is a good carb to keep my eyes out for ? a Weber 32/36 ? >

I wopld recommend getting a new/nearly new one, since this will
eliminate alot of guessing on your part as to sources of problems.

> apart from that the car runs great.. it has a 5 speed (from 320i),
> 13x5.5 BBS mags (320i again), is very tight and happily cruises
> along at 80mph..

when its all set-up correctly, it should happily cruise along at much
higher speeds than that....

Good luck, and welcome to a new adventure!

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX