E24 Speaker Recovering

For the last year I have debated having the vinyl/foam rubber covers that
sourround the rear speakers on my 88 '635 recovered/replaced... Mine had
terrible sun spots & the foam rubber was comming off of the metal frame...
They looked Awful to put it mildly. All of the upolstry shops have told me
that it is difficult to reattach the foam (& last) etc.etc... My best estimate
was $200...  This weekend I finally decided to try  to do it myself.. I went
to the local fabric shop & bought 2 yards of high grade Vinyl...

Although the original was grey, I went with black to match the dash etc..
(even though I have grey leather the dash top & tops of the door panels are
black)... I took the foam covers out of the car, took the speakers out etc.. I
just wrapped them like I would a christmus preasent... except I took the
mounting brackets off & placed the vinyl under them & screwed them back
down... I reinstalled them & then spray painted the "metal mesh" that actually
covers the speakers with "barbque black" spray paint to match the vinyl & it
can deal with the hot summer sun... in the end I spent two hours & $13.50,
they look better than brand new..

If anyone else is having this delimma.. it is Very easy.. it takes  a little
time to get the covering tight w/ out wrinkles etc, but it was worth it...

Lee

88'635 CSi 153K, w/a shark in the mail!