E30 fuel gauge problem.

Well, my '92 E30 325iC has a strange problem at 30K miles. The fuel gauge
reads way above full for a long time, then drops to about 5/8 of full and
the warning light comes on (and at this point indeed there is only 1.5
gallons left).
I replaced the fuel sender unit yesterday, and guess what, same problem.
So, I'm assuming the gauge itself is somehow responsible (would be nice for
the stupid Bentley book to give range of readings on the fuel sender).
Is the gauge adjustable? Can it be accessed without taking the steering
wheel off? Any others thoughts?
TIA. Mike.S
http:\\www.gis.net\~mikest