Re: E36 OBC Upgrade

Jason Lile writes:

> ... BMW only wires the cars nowadays for what they come with from the
> factory.  Anything else you want to add after the fact like cruise, heated
> seats, power seats, obc, etc. has to be wired.  They don't sell many of the
> wiring kits separately either, so the only way to get the wiring is to strip
> it from another car....

I am pretty sure BMW in Germany sells the harnesses for some of these
options rather than abandon customers who have bought the add on kits.
There is, however, no kit or harness available for retrofitting an
OBC, unless you have a 7er or a 3er compact.

If you can not salvage what you need, you can usually get special
contacts and connectors from the in-house BMW repair parts kits.  You
probably do need to be on good terms with your BMW dealer or be
willing to order directly from Cartool.

John Alteen writes:

> I have a line on a new unit
> and before I buy I would like to know if it will just plug in or will I have
> to add wiring and sensors, which I am not about to do.

If you have the check control display with 1 connector and 18 wires,
you need to move a couple wires and add a few more in a second
connector.

- -John
'96 318is
john.firestone@domain.elided