Experience with UPS losing car parts

Has anyone had any experience dealing with UPS
after they lose large car parts which were not
insured for the full replacement cost? I recently
bought a set of 4 used 17" TSW wheels w/ mounted
R1 from a fellow digester, only to have UPS lose
one of the bundles (consisting of 2 wheels/tires).
UPS customer service totally sucks; they have not
told me anything. Any advice on trying to get them
to pay actual replacement cost instead of
declared/insured value would be appreciated. I
also strongly recommend anyone shipping car parts
to pay the extra few bucks to insure your stuff
for the full replacement cost, not just the
selling price, to avoid the headaches I'm going to
have to deal with. You would think it would be
hard to lose a 75 pound bundle of 2 mounted tires
bound together, but one UPS person I talked to
cheerfully said they lose tires "all the time."
Lovely.

Andy '95 M3 w/ 2 extra wheels/tires