Sandblasted Windshield

In one of the FAQs I read about the "soft" glass on BMWs that over a period
of time gets sandblasted to the point of near opaqueness (opacity?).  My 95
325is seems to be at the beginning of this journey, which apparently happens
to just about all Bimmers.

Has anyone on the list (or anyone they know) ever successfully got BMW NA to
replace the windshield for free because of the fault, and is it worth a try
or do they just attribute the pitting to stone chips and general wear &
tear?

C.
1995 325is w/sports package

P.S.    To those who answered my previous post about hesitation - muchas
gracias, and to those who reported the same problem and wanted to know my
outcome - the dealer replaced the O2 sensor, and this has helped about 85%
(and made a great improvement) but I will still push them to replace the
VANOS unit or keep looking for the last 15%.  I will update you all when
it's sorted out properly.