re: E34 vibration

Jason O'Dell <Jasono@domain.elided> wrote:
Subject: E34 vibration

Recently, my 93 525iT has gotten a case of the shakes.  I don't think it is
the tire's balance, it doesn't get worse with increasing speeds; rather, it
presents itself at 53-60 mph.  It is a pretty deep shake, I feel it in the
steering wheel and up into the seat.  you can kinda feel it in your calves.
 It does it when I brake from speed, and may be a bit worse as the engine
lugs to keep the car at speed in that range, like going up a hill on the
highway.  Could this be a driveshaft bearing problem or a suspension, front
end problem?  I remember some recent posts on the subject, but I could not
locate them.  Any insight is appreciated,
    TIA,
     jason
     jasono@domain.elided

Jason -

My car had the same symptoms, however in my case it did it both before and
after I installed a Dinan Stage 3 suspension and new front struts.  Because
my symptoms were the same as yours, including the speed at which the problem
occurred, I too believed it wasn't a wheel balance problem.  Wrong.  I
decided to have my wheel balance checked and we discovered one wheel had
thrown all its weights!  Re-balancing  the wheel cured the shake.

Louis
91 M5