Reply: Borla Cat-Back Loses Power...

Cliff, re:

>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:58:55 -0700
>From: "Cliff Olson" <CVOlson@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Borla Cat-Back Loses Power?  I Don't Think So!
>
>That was a MYTH spread out over the digest by some individuals I wont
>mention.  But my dyno results for a STOCK '95 M3 with Borla Cat-back
>are:
>213hp and 208 lb/ft.

>From what I've heard (mostly via the "suspect" BMW Digest), SOME
aftermarket "free flow" exhaust systems improve flow and power at
high RPMs, but actually restrict flow and reduce power in other parts of
the rev range.  Instead of just the peak HP and torque figures, you would
need a complete set of before and after power curves to verify that you
are not losing power at any RPM.  If someone actually has such
evidence for ANY aftermarket exhaust, I'd love to see it!  It would make
my future cat and muffler purchase decision a lot easier.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid with rusting muffler that one day may plug up with
pieces of the catalytic converter, although it hasn't happened in over 2
years of me worrying about it...