Reply: A Mass Flow Meter Implementation

Neil, re:

>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:05:46 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Neil Deshpande <deshpand@domain.elided>
>Subject: A Mass Flow Meter Implementation.
>
>Russ/Other Listers:
>
>Came across this mail on the Porsche List that tells of a 944 Turbo (951)
>owner who performed the Split Second meter swap that was
>discussed on the BMW list not too long ago AND PASSED THE SMOG
>TEST.  Tim, the owner, actually leaned out the mixture and passed
>without a catalytic converter in CA!

I'm not that familiar with the Porsche 944 Turbo.  Did it have a cat when it
was originally sold in CA?  If it did, then it could not possibly pass the CA
smog test!  The test includes 3 phases:

1.  Visual inspection (are all the parts there?)
2.  Function test (to be sure all emissions equipment actually works...)
3.  Tail pipe sniff (idle and revved)

A car that was originally sold with a cat in CA might pass #3, but there's
no way it could pass #1 (visual) without a cat.  Well,  there is one way it
could pass - if the smog inspector person "forgot to check" for the cat,
then the car owner might receive a printout that said PASS on it, but
really it wouldn't pass if the inspector hadn't "forgotten to check" for the
cat.

OTOH, if the 944 Turbo didn't have a cat in CA as original equipment, then
it still wouldn't need one now, in which case this issue is moot.  I am not
qualified to comment on the Split Second mod.

I just wanted to clear that up, just in case a bunch of CA Digesters were
thinking that they could somehow legally trash their cats and still pass
the smog test.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977