<E36> Service indicator lights

What determines the rate at which the service indicator lights go out? I
think I saw a post many moons ago from Brett A. that explained it - alas I
can't seem to find it.

I've got 8200 miles on the car, and still have one green light on! And yes,
the oil has been changed in the car already - in fact, twice. I have that
emissions recall to get done, plus a couple other things I want the dealer
to check out, but I'm waiting for the first Oil Service to do it all at once.

TIA.

Bill Bauman
'97 328is w/sport pkg
BMWCCA #150616