Re: bmw-digest V9 #116

>Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:41:53 -0400
>From: David Cullen <dcullen@domain.elided>

>With my first driving school coming up I am getting my car (meaning my
>brakes) in shape and was wondering if anyone has/had any opinions on the
>subject brake pads.

Stay with your stock pads. They will give you all you'll need for your
first school, probably your first half a dozen schools. Once you nail down
the track line and learn smoothness, then you can start concentrating on
going deep into the corners.  Won't happen your first day.

>Or perhaps metalmasters?

NO!!! Metalmasters have a kewl name but are NO BETTER THAN STOCK PADS for
the track. They have a slightly higher heat tolerance....something like 75
degrees....and that's not worth the bother.

When the day comes that you are ready for specialized track pads, then you
want exactly that!  And specialized track pads (Hawks, Performance
Friction, Pagid Oranges, Cool Willies, etc) don't come cheap. They range
from $ 200 to $450 a set.

>>I have a 97 M3 that is bone stock. I am already planning to flush the
>brake fluid and refill with Super Blue.

That's all ya gotta do.  Have fun...WATCH YOUR MIRRORS!

Duane Collie
Only (5) more weeks to Pizzafest II
National Capital Chapter