RE: Jim C. and The Great White Shark

Donn York writes:

> I have always heard mixed reviews of aftermarket chips
> for cars (really my understanding is only as it relates to Porsches).

  For many reasons.. while I won't (although I should) say that "it's
  Because I'm not (yet) in the Porsche chip market".. there are many
  other technical reasons.. the line between more power and melted
  motor on an aircooled motor is much finer than that of a water
  cooled motor.. also some of the P cars are turboed and the typical
  response "turn up the boost" can have deleterious wear effects on the
motor
  The remaining motors (944,924,928) either produce little from a chip
in stock
  form, or there are so many CHARLATANS selling "nothing" to the
customer that
  the automotive performance software aftermarket itself has gotten a
black eye!

> I've heard
> some non-Digested Porsche-types suggest that if you could increase
> horsepower and gas mileage with no detrimental effects on engine wear and
> the car, that the good folks at
> fill-in-the-blank-fine-German-automotive-company would have put them in the
> car to begin with.

  If those loving P-phyles would remove cranium from rectum, they'd see
that
  that fine company auf Deutschland DOES sell performance products thru
their
  racing divisions (but is selective on who can get them)..

  If that wasn't so, I'd love to know where a lot of that Pressure
sensing
  stuff on the cup cars I've seen, came from.. it was Porsche and Bosch
Motorsport
  all the way!!

> So without causing a flame war of mythic proportions, could someone please
> explain in laymans terms what the pros and cons are of a performance chip?

  Pros: (in general) Increased power, Smoother operation, sometimes
increased mileage
        higher (slightly) rev limiter, and speed limiter removed..

  Cons: Must use premium gas, sometimes mileage goes down (usually in
proportion to
        the Lead percentage in right foot ;)

  There ARE no added wear concerns unless you were to KEEP your engine
in that tiny
  band of RPM between old (stock) rev limit and new (chipped) rev limit
which is pretty
  ridiculous to worry about ... especially if you ARE keeping your
chipped motor zinging
  along at 6900 rpms in 2nd on the hiway ;)

  Hope this helps..

  Jim