Re: negative camber & oil change indicator questions

Rob Mudry responds to Andy's question with:

>Andy asks...
>
>>Could someone explain exactly what handling
>>benefit negative camber ads? Increased steering
>>feel? More lateral g? How the hell does it do
>>this? (I know what negative camber is, but don't
>>know what it does in practice).
>
>Andy, here is a very simple explanation.  I'm sure you'll get more in-depth
>analysis from the Bubbas...  Picture the tire patch on the road during heavy
>cornering when the weight of the car shifts to the outside tires.  More neg.
>camber, more rubber on the road, more traction.  Less neg. camber, the
>inside edge of the outside tire starts lifting, loosing grip.  So why don't
>all cars come out of the box with massive neg. camber?  Tire wear.  You
>start wearing out more the insides of your tires when going straight.

Rob - good explanation.  I'd also like to add, besides the issues with tire
wear, since you have less tire in contact with the road when you're going
in a straight line, braking will suffer.  If you crank up the camber in the
rear, you'll also have less traction when accelerating, which may decrease
how fast you can accelerate.  Now, if your engine is a bit wimpy and
asthmatic, you probably won't notice any change in acceleration.  But, if
you have a he-man muscular motor, you'll probably find it easier to break
the back end loose.  Just like anything else, TANSTAAFL...

Jim Ochi
jochi@domain.elided