<old and rusty E30><strange behavior>

Hidyho everybody! Gee, you're lookin' swell!

O.k. here's the problem (the most pressing one, anyhow). Lately, my '85
318i has been doing an odd thing, and it's getting more and more frequent.
It's pretty difficult to describe, but I'll attempt it.
ATTEMPTED DESCRIPTIONS:
  After it sits for any length of time, and I start it, it will stumble,
almost as if it dies, and then restarts instantly (and I mean before one
complete cycle goes by).
  It seems as if the fuel is cut off for an instant (like if you let up
off the gas pedal, and then push it again, and then let off, and then push
it again etc.).
  It feels like someone is yanking on the car backwards with a big rope.
(O.K., I've stooped to the rediculous.)
VARIOUS POSSIBLY HELPFUL FACTS:
  When it is not doing this, which is 90% of the time, it runs perfectly
(smooth, quiet, blah blah blah).
  It usually start doing this either instantly after start-up, or moments
later. Rarely, it will do it for a few seconds during a drive.
  It will stop doing it usually after anywhere between 30 seconds, and
about five minutes, then it runs fine (see first possibly helpful fact).
  It does it at any RPM, even at idle, at any speed, and at any load.
  It starts and stops relatively instantly.
  I have had no trouble as of yet (not to invoke a curse) starting it.
  I just switched to Castrol Syntec 50/50 sythetic oil at my last change,
but this was happening before that. (I'm switching back to regular oil at
the next change, 'because everything that regular oil does, synthetic
does better, and that includes leaking' through old gaskets.)

There ya have it.
Start scratchin' yer heads.

I think that it's jealous that I'm using the other car for autocrossing.

Neil Hitze
BMWCCA #140931
'85 318i
'91 318is