re: I think I'm going to cry...

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 "Lane Flynn" <vortexic@domain.elided> wrote:

<start snip>
"When I came back out, right in front of the door was an
E36 325i.  It had been painted metallic green, but not just any met.
green-BASS BOAT SPARKLE metallic green."
<end snip>

Lane, I agree that you are describing a sad mutilation of a wonderful
automobile.

<start snip>
"And not to be racist, but the driver was of the ethnic group
commonly seen behind the wheel of such cars."
<end snip>

Lane, your post was actually brought to my attention because of this remark.
You failed at not 'sounding' racist. By reading your post, I would think
that you have a philosophy that both
'good taste' and 'bad taste' are unique to certain ethnic groups. This
would be pre-judging a person based on their ethnicity (or perceived visual
ethnicity). I believe this to be a prejudiced remark. If this is your
position, then so be it, you are entitled to your opinion, just as I and
others are. But don't say you're not a racist and then make a statement as
you have. You insult the intelligence of your audience. I have friends,
fellow BMW owners and auto enthusiasts, of all ethnic groups (yes ALL).
Most of my friends have good taste, but I don't believe the ones that have
bad taste are a reflection of their ethnic group. Just what is it you're
trying to say? If you wanted to relate your dislike of the automobile,
you've succeeded. However,comments regarding ethnicity will often, as in
this case, reduce your credibility.

Best Regards,
- - Chip
Chairperson of the Bubba PC Committee