<02> Clutch "clicking" and Fuel filter question

My 1976 2002 has exhibited a popping or clicking while I let it out. If I
let it out slowly, I can tell that the clutch grabs/engages during this
clicking/popping. Any ideas?

Also, shortly after I got my car (way back in 1983), the local BMW dealer's
mechanic installed a fuel filter right by the carburetor (had a Solex, but
now has a Weber 32/36). It was cylindrical, metal, and had an inlet, an
outlet to the carb, and a smaller outlet that he connected to the fuel
return line back to the fuel tank. I've replaced the filter a couple times
since then but I cannot find the part number (I seem to remember that it is
a DELCO part). Does anybody know of this part? Is it really a good thing to
have, or would a simple filter suffice? What was originally on the car to
perform the fuel return function?

Michael Miller
michael.c.miller@domain.elided
Fort Worth, TX