<E36> Are brake/tail light problems excessive on these cars?

I've been having an on-going problem of intermittent brake/tail light
failures on my '92 325i sedan. I replaced all the bulbs and it persisted. I
finally found one of the contacts on a brake light socket and a tail light
socket were not making contact. After straightening them out I was able to
fix the problem. I have noticed a number of E36's (both coupes and sedans)
around the area where I live that have at least one brake light and/or tail
light out. Given most BMW owners are picky about their cars (or so it
seems - the ones I saw all looked well cared for) I have to wonder if these
people even know their lights aren't working. I saw 2 E36 coupes and 1 sedan
(besides my own) with the problem just the other day. They all seemed to be
E36 325i's I saw. Has anyone else been faced with this?

Thanks,

John

1990 750iL 53k
1992 325iA 120k