RE: 1995 M3 - Good deal?

>I have found a 1995 M3 with 32K miles on it for $29K.  Before I make the
>purchase, is there anything special to be looking for?  Scott Miller, you
>suggested early 1995 models had some engine problem.  I have checked the
>NHTA and Recall notes and don't see any reference.  Any idea what to check
>or how to make sure it doesn't have a problem?   There have been 2 owners,
>both doctors who didn't race, supposedly.
>
>Thanks for any further suggestions.

After 10/95, BMW specified harder valve retainers for the E36 M3 engines.
There is a metal plate on the driver side door frame that shows the
production date of the car.  The weaker valve retainers in the pre-10/95
engines have not been a problem for cars that haven't seen track time at
consistently high RPMs.  The weaker retainers apparently just drop the
safety margin at redline.  Just keep the engine below 6500 RPM and it
should be fine.  There is no margin for error.  If you zing it to 7000, the
valves may bend.  This has occurred a fair number of times from mis-shifts
on the track.

$29K for the car is a fair price.  I recently sold a 95 M3 with 36K miles,
in excellent condition, for the same price.  With so few miles (the car may
still be under warranty) there really isn't anything special to look for
other than general mechanical and cosmetic condition.  Get copies of all
the service records and have an independent mechanic (someone other than
the mechanics the former owners took the car to) check it out.

Right after you buy it, put a Conforti chip in it.  It'll be the best money
you ever spend on an "upgrade".

Bob Stommel
95 M3 LTW, 88 M3